Providing HOPE for Iowa families adjusting to life on the autism spectrum
What is the Children's Autism Center?
The Children's Autism Center provides hope for families overwhelmed by the challenges of raising a child on the autism spectrum. We know the importance of having Autism and Autism Spectrum Services close to home for families in Clear Lake, Mason City, and surrounding communities in North Iowa and Southern Minnesota.
**Please note our Coronavirus guidelines: Facial coverings will be worn when providing direct services with a child or parent. Parent or caregiver will drop off child at the main entrance to minimize number of people in the building. Screenings will be completed for each individual, child or adult who enters the building. There will be a regular cleaning and disinfecting schedule every day.
What Services can I find at the Children's Autism Center?
- Direct Autism Services customized to each learner's skills, needs, interests, preferences and family situation.
- Autism Spectrum Skill Assessment designed and overseen by our qualified and trained Behavior Analyst (BCBA)
- Intensive 1:1 ABA (Applied Behavior Analysis): Behavior analysis helps us understand how behavior is affected by the environment and how learning occurs. Our goal is to increase behaviors that are helpful while decreasing behaviors that are harmful or may affect learning in real situations.
- Increase language and communication skills
- Improve attention, social skills, memory, academics and focus for children and teens living with autism
- Provide positive behavior supports, and skill-building activities to improve the lives of the children on the autism spectrum and their families.
- CAC Social Skills groups: During this course, children and teens with autism (elementary through high school) focus on developing specific social skills beneficial for enhancing their interaction with peers and adults.
- Parent training and education to support their child's learning and skill practice throughout the day.
- Free, specialized activities and events in collaboration with other local groups and resources. Past Autism-Friendly events the CAC has hosted have included music, art, sailing, sports, and holiday events. Check our Facebook page for upcoming Autism-Friendly events.
- Assistance with navigating other autism resources available in the area.
- Resource library of books, DVDs, sensory items, and educational resources available for check out. The library was created with the help of the Cerro Gordo County Medical Alliance.
- Spectrum appropriate materials, technology and equipment for families to enrich their child's experience at home, school, and community.
Are you wondering if ABA therapy or a social skills group is right for your child? Please read more at the links below:
Read below for our enrollment process and our policies and procedures.
Click this icon to visit our Facebook page for the Children's Autism Center!